my gnome empty desktop (on etch debian)

Today my gnome with it sweet compiz-fusion got error message when I came back from lunch. I thought it was like usual (something move the mouse wheb at the same time gnome lock the screen. Some applications interface are grayed). But when i restart the desktop (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) still I got the menu bar and other applications except nautilus file browser, also my desktop is blank (no wallpaper neither icons).

I got my desktop back after i remove all my home settings which related to gnome and nautilus and than run these commands:

  • dpkg-reconfigure gdm
  • dpkg-reconfigure gnome-desktop-data
  • dpkg-reconfigure gnome-control-center
  • dpkg-reconfigure gnome-menus
  • dpkg-reconfigure gnome-system-tools
  • dpkg-reconfigure gnome-applets
  • dpkg-reconfigure gnome-session
But still after running a while I got that error again. After all of those unsatisfied result I remove all my gnome and xserver-xorg
  • apt-get remoce xserver-xorg --purge
  • apt-get remove gnome gnome-utils gnome-core gnome-desktop-data gnome-desktop-environment
  • apt-get remove --purge gnome gnome-core gnome-destop-environment
  • aptitude purge gnome gnome-core gnome-destop-environment <<>
another command to remove all gnome related packaga are:
apt-get remove gnome*

after all package removed than reinstall gnome with this command:
apt-get install gnome-destop-environment

since than i got my gnome back....

I also got another cool package: gnome-fifth-toe

0 Responses: